Skip to main content

CFAT at MMSU poorly managed

My newly high school graduated son and I had to sleep over in Laoag last Friday, April 24, 2015, so that he could be at the Mariano Marcus State University (MMSU) Laoag campus before 7:00 a.m. the following day—as per advice of Mrs. Domingo of the Registrar's Office—for the College Freshmen Admission Test (CFAT) the following day. I wanted my son to take the first batch of examinees for that day so that I could attend my maternal cousin's funeral and, ironically, my paternal clan's family reunion on that same day, where, as the eldest male of my paternal grandparents' grandchildren, I had before imagined to be delivering a nostalgic speech to my relatives, many of whom were coming from as far away as Mindanao, Australia and the United States, and many of whom too I have to meet and know their names and circumstances for the first time.

Before we left Bangui on the 24th, I had to remind my son several times to make sure that all the documentary papers required for the test was ready and he said "yes" each time I asked. We got up at 5:00 a.m., took our showers, had breakfast at the nearby fast food and at 6:00 a.m. sharp, we were already at the MMSU Laoag campus, where hundreds of aspiring college freshmen were already gathering. Oblivious of the pre-examination nuances in the campus, we walked straight towards the main building but a security guard, presumably posted for crowd control purposes, restrained us from further proceeding because my son was not wearing his ID. So I asked my son to show his ID, but in God's mercy, despite his numerous previous assurances that all documents required for the test were in place, he forgot his school ID, the only one he had for purposes of "valid identification card (preferably current school ID)" as prescribed by the school in the examinees' examination permit. 

The security guard was imperiously imposing that my son could not take the examination for want of ID in his possession. I begged him (the guard) to let me speak to higher authorities but he said that I had to wait until they'd be in, which was at about 8:00 a.m. My blood pressure shoot up so high: frustrated and angry at my son's sheer irresponsibility, angry at why no responsible university official was around at that time to monitor crowd movement and address questions and other issues relevant to that day's event despite Mrs. Domingo's rejoinder that we be in the campus before 7:00 a.m.—for it would certainly be the height of stupidity and failure of leadership at the school's officials' end to let a security guard, with all due respect to him, to undertake those enormous tasks required of them to undertake.

And we are talking about a state university named after the father of Ilocos Norte's only produced Philippine President to date, a President whose brilliance and work ethics and management meticulousness were far from reproach; a president whose leadership's moral nature was founded on the principle of command responsibility. 

I set aside my frustration and anger for a while as I had to call my wife to look for my son's school ID and have it sent through the first Pagudpud bus for Laoag. I was panicking, for no one was taking my call. Everyone at home was obviously sleeping yet. At around 6:30, my wife finally answered her phone, henceforth, she had to rush to the highway and wait for the first available bus for Laoag, which came at around7:20 a.m., which under normal circumstances would reach Laoag at around 8:40 or 8:50 a.m. (normal travel time from Bangui to Laoag on a public utility bus is about 1½ hours). I was hoping that the test would not start until 9:00 a.m. for I planned that right after my son was admitted to take the test, I would rush back to Bangui to catch up with the tail end of my cousin's funeral and forthwith catch up too with the reunion lunch with my other relatives. 

My plan did not materialize, however, for Dr. Cesario Y. Pacis, MMSU's Dean of the College of Industrial Technology in whose hands the responsibility of heading the school's CFAT panel, whose decisions are the final authority relevant to this event, with folded hands ala-drill sergeant in a boot camp and seemingly enjoying the moment of his imperious office for this event, readily dismissed my plea with him to allow my son to participate in the examination conditionally as his permit was on its way but it could be late for 10 to 15 minutes. His "no permit no examination" mantra was stern, final and beyond compromise, unfortunately. For a while, I wanted to ask him what would this government-owned school lose if he would just allow my son to take the exams without his ID, which was to arrive in 10 to 15 minutes anyway? I wanted to ask him what constitutes "valid ID" as what they had prescribed. But he raised his voice on me when I asked him if they made sufficient dissemination program relevant to this yearly CFAT. I was stunned and wondered if this kind of public comportment—raising his voice and insulting people—was necessary  I am saying this because before me, he had raised his voice too and insultingly castigated Mrs. Gemma Cassabacan, a parent from the province of Apayao who had similar problem as mine about her daughter. 

I was left speechless, wondering if this kind of attitude of a dean at the Mariano Marcos State University, or any university for that matter, is countenanced by the school, the Department of Education or the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). For a while, I was wondering if Dr. Pacis was a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a doctor of medicine (MD), because MD's are prone to yelling at their patients sometimes, done by work pressure, I suppose. Unless it's his nature to yell and insult people when pressured, an educator, especially a doctor of philosophy, must always be philosophical in taking challenges and confronting stress, lest people may subscribe to Jacques Barzun's words that "teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition."  

Indeed, my son's permit got to Laoag at around 8:45 a.m., 15 minutes after the examination started, but he was only allowed to participate—with the ID—with the second batch of examinees who were to take the test at 12:30 p.m. Many examinees were not allowed to take the exams too on account of ID problems. Some of them took the second batch's schedule, some did not, because unlike my son they could not produce an ID on time. 

We got to the examination building floor at 12 noon. Mr. Pacis, was there, monitoring the situation, giving orders and decisions. Like what transpired in the morning, there were examinees who had no ID's too. I felt very sorry for the kids, for I expected that they would suffer the same fate as the other no-ID kids had in the morning. I was about to confront Pacis in behalf of the poor kids, this time to verbally tangle with him on the issue of ID's. But I stepped back when one by one, he asked the kids if they could produce any other document, like diploma or transcript of record—“so that I can be sure that you are a high school graduate," he said.

What a NONSENSE, obtuse reasoning! I was dumb-founded, for my son had with him his diploma and transcript of record, but this theatrical, unpredictable and imperiously actuating Dean of the College of Industrial Technology, never asked or offered any semblance of flexibility when Mrs. Cassabacan and the other parents and students with similar concern as mine were pleading with him for some consideration early on. His afternoon stance was far expected from a doctorate-holding dean of a university. For I always thought that the need for the ID was to make sure that the person taking the written exam was the real person who applied for it. The university prescribed "a valid ID," which to an ordinary layman is a card wherein your picture appears so that when people need to verify your identity instantly they could refer to it instantly too. I am not a doctor of anything like Pacis, but I can bet my life that in a normal rhythm of a public transaction, diplomas and transcript of records are not "valid ID's." They are credentials that you have to submit post-personal identification. 

So if Pacis was only accommodating or flexible enough in the morning of April 25, like he was in the afternoon, my son, who had with him his diploma and transcript of record, would have taken the morning exams, which means that I could have rushed back to Bangui in time for my cousins funeral and my reunion with my other relatives. 

But the funeral and the reunion are certainly not the issues here. The issues are: 1. The attitude and disposition of Dr. Cesario Pacis, the Dean of MMSU's College of Industrial Technology, who heads the CFAT examination panel in this school and, 2. The university's poor system of managing the conduct of the CFAT.

We question Pacis' attitude and poor disposition on account of what he did to me and that poor parent from the province of Apayao. We question his attitude and disposition for being so stern and inflexible toward the no-ID students. While it is true that the ID was an important form to discourage cheating, it is also true that to save time, effort and money and to preclude the likelihood of depriving an aspiring youth to study at this vaunted university, Pacis could have granted these kids conditional permit to take part in the examination, conditioned on their producing a "valid ID" within a reasonable time; which means that if the examinee fails to produce that ID within a reasonable time, his examination paper would not be considered. After all, the examinee's picture is attached to his permit that the school keeps a record of against which the ID could be cross-referred with at a later time. We question Pacis' disposition for not telling the no-ID students and their parents in the morning that diplomas and transcript of records are acceptable as "valid ID's," as what he told the no-ID students in the afternoon. We hate to say that this is poor judgment at his end, but this appears to be the case. 


We call upon the powers that be of MMSU to take a look into our assertions. We call as well upon the Commission on Higher Education and the Department of Education to conduct periodic psychological tests on school officials to determine their continued competence in school--because we all know that education has now become the most potent tool against poverty.



Alfredo C. Garvida, Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empanada festival: A celebration of good taste and good life

By Dominic B. dela Cruz & Leilanie G. Adriano Staff reporters BATAC CITY—If there is one thing Batac is truly proud of, it would be its famous empanada-making business that has nurtured its people over the years. Embracing a century-old culture and culinary tradition, Batac’s empanada claims to be the best and tastiest in the country with its distinctive Ilokano taste courtesy of its local ingredients: fresh grated papaya, mongo, chopped longganisa, and egg. The crispy orange wrapper and is made of rice flour that is deep-fried. The celebration of this city’s famous traditional fast food attracting locals and tourists elsewhere comes with the City Charter Day of Batac every 23 rd  of June. Every year, the City Government of Batac led by Mayor Jeffrey Jubal Nalupta commemorate the city’s charter day celebration to further promote its famous One-Town, One Product, the Batac empanada. Empanada City The Batac empanada festival has already become an annua

PGIN honors Ilocano heroes of past, present through Heroes Walk

SPO1 Allan Lampitoc Franco of Banna, Ilocos Norte and PO2 Jovalyn D. Lozano of Adams, Ilocos Norte receive a resolution of commendation, a certificate of college scholarship grant to their family members and a P20,000 cash incentive each from the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte represented by Governor Imee R. Marcos and Vice Governor Angelo M. Barba in recognition of their bravery and heroic acts in the Mamasapano clash in Maguindanao on January 25. Mr. Franco and Mr. Lozano were recognized on March 10 in time for the unveiling of the second batch of Ilocano heroes at the Heroes Walk located along the Sirib Mile in Laoag City.  (Lei Adriano) By Jennifer T. Pambid PGIN-CMO In honor of the heroes who brought freedom, fame and glory to the province as well as to the country in the past century, the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte (PGIN) through the Education Department and Sirib Youth Office launched the second batch of Ilocano Heroes Walk on March 10, 2015.

Pagudpud’s tourism transformer passes away

By Leilanie G. Adriano Staff reporter LAOAG CITY—Retired Philippine Air Force Col. Ricardo Nolasco Jr., owner of Hannah’s Beach Resort and Convention Center in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte passed away on Wednesday evening, July 11, 2018. He was 67. “He did not survive an open-heart surgery,” said Ronald Dominguez, spokesperson of the largest resort at Brgy. Balaoi in Pagudpud. Known as the architect behind the transformation of Pagudpud town as a premiere destination of the north, Mr. Nolasco put up Hannah’s Beach Resort in what was originally meant as a family vacation resort. The rest is history when it expanded into more than 300-room executive villas and cabanas, with on-going infrastructure developments and set up various amenities. As a result, hundreds of domestic and foreign tourists visit here daily. The resort is on a cliff by the beach, which provides a spectacular view of the sparkling blue lagoon. “Yesterday will go down my lifeline as one